Jay Pitts has scored tries in both London Broncos’ visits to Craven Park this season
Betfred Super League
Hull Kingston Rovers (6) 16
Tries: Dagger, Atkin, McGuire Goals: Shaw 2
London Broncos (14) 20
Tries: Gee, Lamb, Pitts Goals: Dixon 4

London Broncos won a breathtaking contest as they came from behind to beat Hull KR at Craven Park and take the Super League relegation battle to the final day of the season.

Broncos led 12-0 early on with tries from Matt Gee and Brock Lamb.

Rovers bounced back to lead 16-14 through scores from William Dagger, Chris Atkin and Danny McGuire.

But skipper Jay Pitts scored in the 77th minute, and Kieran Dixon landed his fourth kick to seal the win.

Broncos, promoted back to Super League a year ago, were within three minutes of being relegated. But they now carry the season on to next weekend with all four bottom clubs locked on 20 points.

Huddersfield have the first chance to secure survival if they win at home to Catalans next Friday night.

But then, on the Sunday, Rovers go to top three hopefuls Salford, while Broncos face another crunch away match at ninth-placed Wakefield.

To add to all the drama on a supercharged night of high emotions, referee James Child was asked to put on report an allegation of a racist remark made against Rovers forward Mose Masoe.

Hull KR were badly hampered by the first-half injury inflicted on Jimmy Keinhorst by his own team-mate Mose Masoe

Great finish and dream start for Broncos

If the finish was exciting, Broncos got off to the start of their dreams when Australian half-back Lamb inspired them to a 12-0 lead inside nine minutes.

First it was his brilliant pick-up from ankle height and offload to set up Gee for the first try on four minutes before then scoring himself, both converted by Dixon.

Rovers repaired half of the damage by the break when Dagger got over in the right corner, then had the presence of mind to stay on his feet and get round close to the posts for Ryan Shaw to kick the goal.

But Shaw then had a try disallowed before Rovers ended the half with two men lost from their 17-man squad.

After losing Dean Hadley, there was then a 10-minute delay when Masoe steamrollered into an attempted tackle which ended up laying out his own team-mate Jimmy Keinhorst, who had to be taken off on a stretcher.

It was roles reversed after the break as Rovers this time made the electric start.

Atkin’s converted try brought the hosts level for the first time before Dagger’s offload allowed the overlapping McGuire to go in at the right corner.

In his understandable excitement, McGuire went for a spectacular trademark diving finish when he too could have got round closer to the posts – and Shaw missed the touchline conversion.

Dixon then kicked wide for Broncos with his penalty attempt after Joel Tomkins and Rob Butler had clashed, not for the only time on the night.

But it was the visitors who had the last word when they finally made the most of their late pressure.

Hull KR: Hall; Dagger, Crooks, J Keinhorst, Shaw; Drinkwater, McGuire; Mulhern, Parcell, Murray, Tomkins, Hauraki, Hadley.

Interchanges: Garbutt, Trout, Masoe, Atkin.

London Broncos: Walker; Dixon, Morgan, Kear, Williams; Abdull, Lamb; Battye, Cunningham, Butler, Pitts, Gee, Yates.

Interchanges: Fozard, Mason, Hindmarsh, Armitage.

Referee: James Child (RFL).

boiler installations Stotfold

Source link

Comments 0

Leave a Comment